Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Blizzard Ride


I commuted to LTHS South tonight to go coach via the Moots and Schwalbe Marathon Winter tires. It was about 5 miles total but felt like 15.

It was a constant fishtail that was relatively under control......I never crashed, but felt extremely squirrely when I got stuck in ruts in the road. Riding on fresh snow with a layer of ice underneath was totally fine in areas that were not plowed.

I did have a few mechanical problems to note. My rear derailer actually froze and I couldn't shift. I'm not sure if it was the actual derailer or if it was that the cable froze inside the housing. The other problem I had was with my braking. When I could brake, the spikes in my tires would drag and actually had great traction. The problem was that the rims were getting ice on they making my braking pretty poor at times. Disc brakes would have been nice!


I actually passed 2 cars because they were going so slow! They had some interesting looks on their faces for sure.

Great quick adventure!

No comments: