As the day got hotter and hotter I kept putting off my run. Doug ran with out me and I was feeling very unmotivated. I knew however that if i didn't go soon, there was no chance I was going to do it later. I needed a good run and so I gave it a go. I ran the first mile thinking about stretching it out and really trying to lengthen my stride. That got me to do a 7:50 mile and then I dialed it back and ran to survive the heat. At my normal 5k turnaround point I was feeling pretty good, so I continued on. Its funny what the heat and running will do to your mind. I was all over the place with my thoughts. Wanting to walk, thinking about what I want to do on race day...... The one thing that really kept me going was something that Coach Walker says pretty much to us every day. "No one is training the way you are." I was really struggling at this point in my run, but I focused on that point and kept going. No one is doing what I am doing right now. No one is training the way I am training. I kinda slipped into a nice steady pace and ran the 5K in about 27 minutes which was about what I did at the Run for the Roses. The difference being it was brutally hot out. I am much faster and stronger now and only getting stronger. So at the 5K mark I walked for a bit because I was pretty much melting. My headphones were starting to short out in the left ear I was sweating so much but after about .5 miles of walking I started running again. With "Boom Boom Pow" repeating on my Ipod, I started running really strong and stretched out. I felt like I could just keep going and going. 4.65 miles total on the run + 1 mile run during core training today = my biggest running day yet and I felt pretty great (even in this insane heat).
No comments:
Post a Comment