I had my first true PT session today with Irene. She gave me a deep tissue massage in my left calf (horribly tight all of the time) that I am already feeling the effects of. I'm going to be pretty sore from it. She has added a few more exercises into the mix. These exercises in principle seem like they should be pretty easy, but they are TOUGH. I wonder how this is going to effect my running, will I end up being faster? certainly stronger!
In regards to my return to running:
- When you have gone at least a week without pain then you can begin to return to training. If you feel pain when returning to training then stop. Begin each training session with a walk to warm up followed by stretching.
- After training apply ice or cold therapy to the tendon for 10 minutes to help prevent inflammation from returning.
| Day 1: | walk 4 minutes | jog 2 minutes | repeat four times |
| Day 2: | rest | ||
| Day 3: | walk 4 minutes | jog 3 minutes | repeat three times |
| Day 4: | rest | ||
| Day 5: | walk 3 minutes | jog 4 minutes | repeat 4 times |
| Day 6: | rest | ||
| Day 7: | walk 2 minutes | jog 6 minutes | repeat 4 times |
- Continue this gradual progression until you can confidently run and resume normal training.
- Gradually increase the duration of your runs. No more than 10 % per week is usually recommended. If your sport demands sprinting then gradually increase the speed.
- Continue with the stretching and strengthening programs. It is important to do these even if you do not gain pain at this stage. Continue for at least three months. Continue to ice the tendon after training. You should now be ready to start back in full training but never neglect stretching and strengthening of the achilles tendon or the injury might return.
and here are the new exercises:



Fuel:
7:40-protein drink
9:00 - apple
10:30 - coffee and then a little homemade hummus(nice work Sarah!) and feta
1:45 - chicken, egg, tomato, balsamic
2:30 - 3 slices of almond coffee cake!!!(not a smart choice, but of my FAVORITES!)
4:30 - cup of yogurt and blueberries
9:45 - Korean Beef Stir Fry
11:30 - yogurt and blueberries
Swim Practice:
200 swim
100 fly kick
100 pull
---------------
25 @'30
50fly-bk @1:00
50 bk-br @1:00
50 br-free @1:00
25 @ '30
repeat set 4 times
---------------
4×100@ 1:30
100 bk EZ
3×100 @1:30
100 br EZ
4×50 @ '50
100 bk EZ
4×25 @'30
100 br EZ
--------------
200 easy
Total Yardage: 2800
I held for the 4x100's:
1:04
1:04
1:04
1:04
I held for the 3x100's:
1:04
1:05
1:03
3 comments:
I started paying attention to my times at the 3rd 100 of the first set. #s 3 & 4 were both 1:17s. For the second set, I was 1:13, 1:17 and 1:19. Clearly my endurance is terrible! but those times with little rest (for me) were kind of a pleasant surprise.
Consistancy will bring endurance and aren't you only in it for a 50????
Nice work! I think paying attention to your times is crucial for improvement.
On my last 100, I thought to myself right before I pushed off..."This is going to be my fastest one" and at the 50 I was behind my pace(I have figured out it takes me 3 seconds from the wall to when I can read the clock after my turn). I at that point went "all in" finished with my fastest time, then dry heaved a couple of times :) but it was worth it.
Post a Comment