Let me take a minute here to explain what all is going on with this program and blog. I have to find the time to train for 3 sports and stay healthy, which will be a challenge. I have been compiling workouts and information to help tailor this plan to work for my goals (hopefully, I am no expert!) The purpose of this blog is really to give myself a place to log all of my workouts and keep me accountable for completing them. It might also prove as a resource for some of you out there who are training as well.
So this is how I am planning on doing it:
After building a base level of fitness I am going to do a 12-week push before the Spirit of Racine ½ Distance Triathlon. The details for each individual workout will be listed in the calendar (not updated yet). Then after some recovery time I am going to commit the remaining time before the Chicago Triathlon to speed work and lots of rest. I will however continue to keep my swimming strong in prep for the Big Shoulders 5K, which is a few weeks later.
The Breakdown:
Swimming—I have practice 3 days a week for 1 hour, swimming roughly 3000 yards a practice. If we can get our RELAY together, I am sure we will swim a couple of meets in preparation for State, as of now we have nothing scheduled, which is reflected in my Calendar. Masters goes until August and then Katy and I will be hitting the outdoor pools in the area and Lake Michigan focusing our efforts on Big Shoulders .
Biking—My schedule will be 4 days a week. Tuesday’s and Thursday’s I will be doing 1-hour interval training workouts (indoor and outdoor) to get my top speed up (details in the calendar). Saturday’s and Sunday’s; I will be doing distance rides building to about 70miles a session (outdoor) for my endurance.
Running—This is my battle! Swimming and biking I actually enjoy quite a bit, but running is not my friend. I do really hope that someday we can be friends, but we have a long way to go. So the plan is I am going to run 3 days a week building a base level of fitness and then switch over at the end of March to this: Monday’s are Speed workouts. Wednesday’s are Tempo workouts. Saturday’s are my long runs, which will slowly build by 10% in time for 4 weeks then go back 10% for 1 week. 10% 20% 30% 40% - 30% - 40% 50% 60% 70% - 60% - 70% etc…
Audible – I will have the option to substitute a running or biking interval workout with a Crossfit workout (details to come). I am hoping that this will break things up and keep me fresh.
Rest—I have Friday’s off right now; but I am not ruling out skipping a workout here or there to stay healthy and rested. I am going to let my body decide. It is of course important to think about which workouts CAN NOT be skipped.
Stretching—This is something I am going to dedicate some time to every day in an effort to keep me injury free.
No comments:
Post a Comment