Tuesday, January 29, 2008

PT Day 1

I had my first appointment for physical therapy this morning and it was pretty educational. I met with Bob who is a PT and evaluated me today. He watched me walk around for a while with my shoes on and then had me do a few flexibility tests, which I really excel at. He then had me stand on one foot and raise up and down on my toes a few times which hurt a VERY little bit in my left ankle. One of the more interesting tests I thought was standing shoulder with apart and keeping my heels down, bend my knees keeping them pointed forward and go as low as I could. There is a surprising difference in how far I can go down on my right side vs left side. My left ankle has a smaller range of motion than the right. Chalk that up to my deformity i guess! He then ran me through the exercises in the picture and they were surprisingly difficult for me to do(really only the 3rd one).


His theory in a nutshell is that I am muscularly unbalanced. I have very strong quadricep muscles and weak hamstrings. I can "push" really well but can't "brake" very well. So the good news is is that he believes this is going to resolve my problem and I have to meet once a week for the next couple of weeks to check on my exercise form and maybe add some as the process moves along.

It was a good meeting and I finally feel like I know the direction I need to take this. He said I am clear to do all forms of exercise except running, which he wants me to do some "power" walking for a little bit. Hopefully I can find those 2 lb dumbbells I have laying around to join my neighbor on his walks! I have to use an ice cup after any strenuous workout just to protect the area from inflammation. So that means I am not to far off where I need to be, since my base training phase starts in a week. I can at the very least be biking again, which when it comes down to it, is really all I care about! I need to start caring about running soon, but it feels good to know I am not allowed to start yet!

Here is how the day went:

8:00 - vanilla blueberry walnut smoothie
10:45 - coffee
11:00 - a few slices of pear with parm cheese dipped in balsamic
12:00- 2 chocolate holiday balls(not bells)
1:00 - chicken, egg, tomato w/ balsamic on lettuce
4:00 - apple
5:45 - 3 mini meatloaf balls(thanks Lindsey!)
7:20 - PowerGel
9:45 - salmon, salad, apple, artichoke

swim practice:

400 swim
------------
10 x 50 @ 1:00
5 kick
5 drill
------------
25@'30
50@'50
75@1:10
100@1:30
200@3:00
400@6:00
200@3;00
100@1:30
75@1:10
50@'50
25@'30
------------
4x75 @ 1:20
IM order
------------
200 pull

Total Yardage: 2700

I have added a Training Log to the left side of this page to keep track of all the distance that I cover. Can't wait to see how much I log over the course of the year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

good report. glad you're on the path to wellness.

i'm not going to second guess your PT, but i think you should do the third exercise in a side plank position so you get hip strength and flexibility with additional core strength benefits! maybe in the morning you do it laying down but ramp it up for your second set. the reason i mention this is because i do these for back health.

Anonymous said...

"uh, yea, as long as you held 1.15s, that wasn't so bad"

Steve said...

Please do not get me started, Hil!

Unknown said...

brother, this sounds like exactly what you need. I am glad you have such an intelligent primary care physician.

Mike said...

Steve, it was your site that finally got me off my ass to get mine going....we should definately share notes.

Yoga and pool running (yes I have aqua-jogged) help me mend....Massage and acupunture too...I am a big fan.

Easy does it...is easier said then done for sure.